Radreise & Fernradler Forum
Radreise & Fernradler Forum
Wer ist online?
9 Mitglieder (silbermöwe, Fahrradfips, 7 unsichtbar), 314 Gäste und 808 Suchmaschinen sind im Forum unterwegs.
Details
Erweitert
Rund ums Forum
Regeln
Die Regeln für dieses Forum
Nutzungsbedingungen
Vereinbarungen für die Benutzung
Das Team
Wer steht hinter dem Forum?
Verifizierung
Offenlegung deiner Identität
Beteiligte Homepages
Radreise-Seiten, die das Forum eingebunden haben
Mach mit!
Dieses Forum für deine Homepage
RSS Feeds RSS
Eine Übersicht öffentlicher RSS Feeds
Plauderecke
Zum Unterhalten und Plauschen
Die Geschichte
Die Geschichte des Forums
Spende
Unterstütze das Forum
Radreise-Wiki
Partnerseiten
Statistik
29207 Mitglieder
97624 Themen
1532677 Beiträge

In den letzten 12 Monaten waren 2219 Mitglieder aktiv. Die bislang meiste Aktivität war am 02.02.24 17:09 mit 5102 Besuchern gleichzeitig.
mehr...
Vielschreiber (30 Tage)
veloträumer 60
Keine Ahnung 53
Falk 53
Juergen 51
iassu 46
Themenoptionen
#205929 - 04.10.05 14:18 GPS
2 wheels
Mitglied
Themenersteller
abwesend abwesend
Hi all,

I am searching for the right GPS to put on the bike, basically to download maps from the internet and use when I am off roads in the deserts etc... One that can print the route maps after the ride as well. Can anyone help with experienced advice. Which models should one search ?

Thanks

Saad
Nach oben   Versenden Drucken
#206254 - 05.10.05 14:03 Re: GPS [Re: 2 wheels]
trubby
Mitglied
abwesend abwesend
Hi Saad,

for bike and offroad application there are IMHO two choices: a GPS-Receiver like the Garmin or Magellan stuff or a PDA with MIL standard.
Both are expensive.
You wouldn't find free maps for Magellan or Garmin on the internet, but several sites with waypoints/tracks from other useres.
A MIL PDA is quite more expensive, but you are able to use a lot of different software and (espacially for the USA) map data.

If you want to use a standard PDA, beware the high charge against vibration on bicycle use. Perhaps a good Outdoor-box for the PDA will do it's work, but I can't promise you ...

Greetings,
André

Geändert von trubby (05.10.05 14:05)
#207377 - 11.10.05 08:25 Re: GPS [Re: trubby]
Michael B.
Mitglied
abwesend abwesend
Unterwegs in Taiwan

Hi Saad,
the current consumption with one pda is very high, therefore the batteries will work only for 2 - 3 hours
Gruß Michael

Keep the rubber side down
#237801 - 02.04.06 00:04 Re: GPS [Re: 2 wheels]
whisky
Mitglied Übernachtungsnetzwerk
abwesend abwesend
Hi Saad,

One big problem: for the desert there are no reliable or affordable GPS maps available :shocked: Paper maps are already hard to get. Best would therefor be to buy a simple GPS to pinpoint your location and to plot that on the map if orientation points are failing.
These GPS systems without electronic maps are way cheaper and better suited for your needs I think ( I did not use a GPS in the deserts of Wadi Rum and the Sinai).

The Gecko from Garmin or the Explorist 100 from Maggelan should be enough for that. They cost around 100E. I'll buy the Explorist next month as this unit is supposed to be more accurate under leafcover and in mist. I only intend to use it in emergencies when I am totally lost.

Cycle the world (with backup GPS),

Whisky
#238050 - 02.04.06 21:42 Re: GPS [Re: trubby]
cyclist
abwesend abwesend
Unterwegs in Deutschland

Hello André!
Quote:
You wouldn't find free maps for Magellan or Garmin on the internet,

That´s not correct anymore. It is possible to get free + for free digital Vektor based maps for several areas on the world, for Garmin-GPS, for example for the 60C(S)(X) and similar Garmins.

Ich denke das dies dir auch mittlerweile bekannt ist, nur das du deinen Beitrag hier nicht revidiert hast. wink
Schönen Gruß
Markus
Unterwegs zu sein, heißt für mich nicht auf der Flucht zu sein. Ich habe Zeit genug, oder nehme sie mir. Vielleicht weil ich noch kein Rentner bin? Bin auf Reisen nicht elektrifiziert unterwegs. Wieso? Weil ich es noch kann!
#238056 - 02.04.06 22:02 Re: GPS [Re: cyclist]
trubby
Mitglied
abwesend abwesend
Hello Markus,

yes, you are right, some informations become obsolete very quick. In fact, my information was wrong while I wrote it, but at that time I didn't know about.

Thanks for your update.

Regards, André
#247064 - 08.05.06 10:36 Re: GPS [Re: whisky]
2 wheels
Mitglied
Themenersteller
abwesend abwesend
Hi Whiskey and thanks for the info. I should get a basic gps model, I dont like too much complicated electronics on the bike anyway ... so yo have been to Wadi Rum, when?

Saad
#247082 - 08.05.06 12:17 Re: GPS [Re: 2 wheels]
whisky
abwesend abwesend
Hi Saad,

I just ordered some semilegal datacables for my Magellan Explorist 200 and now I can download and upload waypints to my GPS, just like the more expensive models. It's neat but not more than that.
Until know I used the GPS in combination with a normal map and it works fine sofar. I made a custum grid on the map and I did some treasure hunting (geocaching) to practise and it pinpoints my location with 5-15m accuracy, also in the forest.

I've cycled through Jordan and Egypt (Sinai) in February this year,
here's the link: http://images.exploder.org/gallery/jordanie-egypte
The Wadi Rum and Sinai part are at the end of the album, from page 7 onwards. Click on a pic for the english text.

I really enjoyed the trip although the weather at the start was very cold (rain, mist and snow in the desert). In the northern part (North of Petra/Wadi Musa) Palestine and Jordan kids like to throw pebbles at cyclists. Quite annoying.
As you live in Jordan do you perhaps know why they do that?

Overall the people (especially the Bedouin) were very welcoming and friendly and helped me to cross part of Wadi Rum on bike. I am now sure you can cross the whole of Wadi Rum starting in Rum and cycling SE to Aqaba. The road is very sandy in the beginning and you can't cycle (I took a jeep) but after 15-20 km or so the road gets better. You'll need three days of water and food or ask the Bedouin in Rum for the locations of their wells or tent villages.
I used old US en Soviet army maps together with satellitepics from google earth but perhaps you have access to better Jordan maps...

Cycle the world,
Whisky

Geändert von whisky (08.05.06 12:22)

www.bikefreaks.de